The day after a binge we all almost always feel humiliation and guilt. Our self-esteem and self-confidence suffers because we feel like we don’t have any self-control or discipline. We also often feel ashamed and sometimes embarrassed as well.
The first thing we want to do is beat ourselves up – and the second thing we want to do is drink in order to cope with the shame. But what we NEED to do instead is the absolute opposite – we need to do something that BOOSTS our self-esteem or increases our confidence. And believe it or not being kind to ourselves is the best place to start. If that is just too difficult, then being kind to others is the next best thing.
Here are some ideas:
- Treat yourself to a manicure-pedicure
- Get a massage – or ask your spouse or child to give you a massage or brush your hair
- Splurge – some type of special food or outing
- Meditation and positive affirmations
- Be kind to someone else or do something philanthropic – practice random acts of kindness, smile at or hold the door for a stranger, do some volunteer work, or pay the toll for the person in the car behind you.
- THEN GET SOME EXERCISE!!!! The greatest way to blast away a hangover is to work out – get your blood pumping and some oxygen flowing. It will also boost your confidence!
Next time you go over your limit the night before, try some of these ideas the next day. And email me to let me know how they worked!! (email@example.com)